What is Keto Diet?
Keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that is useful for a variety of reasons, including the treatment of certain illnesses like diabetes, epilepsy, and heart troubles. Today, it’s mainly popular because it facilitates weight loss. This diet relies on ketosis, a process when the body uses fat instead of carbs as a source of energy. So, fat makes up 70% of the diet.
What Supplements Should You Take on Keto Diet?
When you start a keto diet, you don’t always know what to do with the food you have in your pantry, let alone what to buy at the drugstore. However, you should know that you need to take supplements when you’re on a keto diet because you will have to stop eating a lot of different foods. This, in turn, means that you will stop ingesting plenty of nutrients that you need for your body to function correctly on a day-to-day basis.
Keto supplements can take different forms, including pills, protein powder, and directly ingestible powder. These forms are all more or less efficient on their own (even though they don’t always have the same purpose), but there is a fourth one that you must avoid — gummy supplements. Not only are gummy keto supplements not as efficient as the other forms, but they boost sugar levels, which is dangerous for your health, especially if you’re diabetic.
We know that gummy supplements were very popular on Instagram and were at one point in the pictures of anyone with more than 500,000 followers, but this social platform banned those ads for a reason. And it’s not that the pictures were just too pretty.
Other than that, other forms of Keto supplements are safe most of the time, as long as they contain electrolytes, vitamins, medium-chain triglycerides and/or beta-hydroxybutyrate, which help fuel the body during ketosis, in decent amounts.
The Best Keto Supplements for Canada
The most popular supplements in Canada, according to several Canadian online marketplaces, are:
- The Ketone protein powder: this protein powder contains goBHB™, a patented beta-hydroxybutyrate formula created and perfected to facilitate weight loss by maintaining the ketosis. This formula is known for facilitating weight loss, improving cognition, and giving energy — so much so that several companies have been sued for illegally using it (1). This product is very popular among Keto enthusiasts because it contains high levels of goBHB™ compared to other similar products while still being sold at a fair price. If you can invest in a bottle, do it, it’s worth it!
- The KetoBurn1250 pills: this product is considered to be the best keto pill in Canada and the US because it is the only example that contain goBHB™. This element allows our bodies to maintain ketosis and regulate glucose and general energy levels. With this pill, you will be able to get rid of the fat just as you get rid of the flu.
- Reloaded powder: this powder is directly ingestible, and its purpose is not to facilitate weight loss, but to simply give energy. Therefore, it doesn’t contain goBHB™, but it contains two other patented formulas, Teacrine™ and Dynamine™, which are known as energy delivering compounds. So, the chances are that this product won’t be enough to support your keto diet. But, it will be a great complement to another supplement with other nutrients.
So, as you can see, the top 3 Keto supplements in Canada have different forms, but a lot of people on a Keto diet prefer pills because they are easier to take. They don’t have to be cooked or prepared, can easily be kept in a bag, and can be ingested in seconds. For those people, there are a lot of options apart from the KetoBurn1250. Here are some of the best:
- The Keto Charged+ pills: these pills, just like the KetoBurn1250 ones, contain goBHB™ as well as caffeine, which makes them very effective in the weight loss process and the energy delivery process. Caffeine increases beta-hydroxybutyrate levels, which will help you burn more ketones, turning you into a productive fat-burning machine.
- The KetoSlim pills: these pills also contain goBHB™, but at a lower dosage, which makes them ideal for people who are just dabbling into keto or are at the very beginning of a serious keto program. In other words, they don’t want something too strong yet.
- The Keto 1000 pills from Keto State: these pills don’t contain goBHB™ but use a generic version of it to keep a lower price than their competitors. These pills are still efficient according to a lot of users, but less than the ones described above.
- The Codeage Instant Keto pills: they are often described as similar to the KetoBurn1250. However, they do not contain goBHB™, and therefore they can’t be considered as weight loss pills. They still contain a generic version of it, but that kind of beta-hydroxybutyrate isn’t reliable, so reviews of this product are mixed. You should be better off spending a bit more money on more popular and efficient pills so that you would not have to regret your decision.
This list gives you a pretty accurate overview of the market for Keto pills, but if you want to do your own research, here are some things you should be looking for in Keto supplements (2), whether they are pills, powders or food mixes:
- Electrolytes: the keto diet is low-carb, which provokes a change in the way our bodies manage electrolytes (3) and fluids. Basically, kidneys excrete more water during ketosis, which is why you might experience dehydration and other unpleasant side effects. Most of them, however, always end up fading on their own, so if they last for too long, you should see a doctor because your health might be too fragile for a keto diet. It is also why any supplements you buy must contain electrolytes (such as magnesium, sodium, and potassium) to preserve essential functions of your body so that you can stay sharp at all times.
- Medium-chain triglycerides: they can be found in coconut oil, and they help reach ketosis, as well as give mental and physical energy, which you will need since you won’t ingest as many nutrients as before.
- Folates: they are important for your brain and your DNA and are complemented by vitamin B6. However, there is enough vitamin B6 in the meats which are allowed on a keto diet. Still, no meat contains enough folates.
- Magnesium: this crucial element is available in beans and fruits, and its lack can lead to sleep disorders and overall irritability (4), which is no wonder at all if you’re not getting enough sleep. Around 300 mg of magnesium a day is enough for most people, so when you start downsizing on carb-rich fruits, make sure to have a stack of magnesium ready.
- Omega-three acids: omega-three acids are EPA and DHA (5), and they are usually found in fish products. Unless you’re a vegan, you can eat plenty of fish on a keto diet, which means that you will not need to search for omega-3 supplements. If you do not eat any animal products, you’ll need to find an artificial source of omega-threes because they help you stay sharp and alleviate constipation (which is a common side effect in the first weeks of going keto).
- Digestive enzymes: this may seem contradictory, but constipation is not the only possible side effect when transferring to a keto diet. Since 70-75% of your foods will contain a lot of fat, such a transition can lead to nausea and diarrhea. Any keto supplements that contain digestive enzymes can alleviate and even prevent these annoying symptoms, so they are highly recommended on a keto diet.
- Fiber: lack of fiber we get from fruit and veggies can also become a problem when starting on a keto diet, leading to a whole range of digestive disorders. Once again, you can either try digestive enzymes or add some fiber-rich supplements to your food.
- Vitamin D: this vitamin helps us absorb calcium from fat and protein-rich foods. It also boosts metabolism, so when substituting all carbs with fats and protein, our bodies may need a little help on their way. Not everyone has a vitamin D deficiency, but most people today do. So, this is another useful supplement suitable for most dieters. It is simply a must for lactose-intolerant people who cannot get the calcium they need from dairy.
Still, choose keto pills with a bit of caution. Everybody is different, so the level of nutrients needed can change from one person to another. Always pay attention to dosages, and consult with the doctor if you are still not sure if a certain product suits you.
Best Keto Pills For Canada
We’ve already mentioned quite a few popular keto pills for Canada, but no one can say which would be the best pills for you. Keto diet and corresponding supplements do not work miracles all by themselves. Besides, people going keto may have different goals in mind. For example:
- Reducing blood sugar: in this case, you barely need any pills and supplements at all. If you are going keto to improve your health, you only need the essential elements missing from your food. Those are electrolytes, MCTs, and magnesium.
- Losing weight: for this, any pills that reduce appetite in the begging stages of going keto are quite enough. You will still need to add essential supplements to your food — the good old electrolytes, MCTs, and magnesium. Protein powders can also be useful in this case because protein makes our tummies feel full. But it’s important not to overdo here, because protein excess turns into glucose, which is the exact opposite of going keto.
- Gaining muscle or preventing its loss: here, once again, the essential elements apply, and protein often becomes essential. The more you work out, the more protein you need. Still, measure the daily amount carefully.
What Is The Major Ingredient In Best Keto Pills?
Since there is no such thing as the universally best keto pill, you have to choose the ingredients that suit your dieting goals. We already mentioned that most weight loss pills reduce appetite. Plenty of other packs can also boost metabolism and increase energy levels. ECA (ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin) is probably the most popular and the most innocent pack out there because it is explicitly designed to increase energy and boost metabolism. At the same time, it remains completely useless in terms of nutrients because such packs do not provide any of the elements our bodies are missing when they downsize on carbs.
On the other hand, no matter how useful appetite-reducing and energy-boosting pills may be, you cannot do without essential elements our bodies get from carbs. Those include the above electrolytes, omega three acids, MCTs, and magnesium. It’s not wise to ignore proteins either. Even though it may seem that a keto diet does not interfere with your protein levels, it does — because some of the essential proteins we get from carb-rich foods. Non-vegans can literally choose any protein powder they like because most of them are made of animal by-products. Vegans will have to choose their sources of protein more carefully, sticking to pea and soy.
All in all, the major ingredients vary from one type of pill to another, and dieters can choose anything that suits them, personally.
Why Take Supplements On A Keto Diet?
There are two reasons to make use of available keto supplements: to make the transition to a new diet easier; and, to make sure this transition does not affect your health. Both are equally important, and both goals require different pill packs. Still, we’d say that health is more important, so it is crucial to choose supplements that provide you with all the nourishment your body needs.
Is the keto diet right for you?
Keto diet helps people suffering from heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and epilepsy. If you want to start taking better care of yourself and get back in shape, a keto diet is also a good way to start. You just have to know how to do it, so you don’t get hurt or waste your time in the process.
Is Kirkland almond butter keto-friendly?
Yes, it is! You’ll have to give up a lot of food once you start on a keto diet, but this product is not one of them. Kirkland has no added sugar and has high amounts of healthy fats and protein, so you can still enjoy this butter while on a keto diet.
Where can I buy keto snacks online?
Of course, the biggest marketplaces such as Amazon, Target, or Jet, sell Keto snacks that are perfectly efficient. If you want to buy from a specialized marketplace, you can try bodyandfit.com or Truly Keto. However, no matter which store you choose, you have to be careful about what you buy.
Is Costco bacon keto?
Kirkland, Costco’s store-brand, is not only keto-friendly but is also affordable for pretty much everyone. Bacon is recommended when you’re on a keto diet because it doesn’t contain a lot of carbs. Instead, it contains vitamin B6 and other nutrients that you won’t find in other foods allowed on a keto diet.
What is the best keto diet app?
Well, there isn’t a miracle keto diet app. For obvious reasons, no app will get your phone to skip the carbs and do the ketosis for you. Still, the most popular choices are Carb Manager, Ketogenic Diet, 8fit, Calorie, Carb & Fat, and Counter App. Just explore your app marketplace (PlayMarket or AppStore) and make your choice.
How can I reduce my stomach fat?
Hitting the gym is a popular choice, but not everyone is a fitness junkie. Keto enthusiasts use diet to lose belly fat. However, the best approach is to combine these two. A diet will help you lose weight, in general, and proper exercise plan will keep you focused on specific body areas.
On the whole, it’s not difficult to choose the right keto diet and supplement plan for you. It only takes is a bit of math, attention to your body’s needs, and persistence to stay on a diet. And, of course, if weight loss is your ultimate goal, some physical exercise will not hurt either.